Tuesday, February 12, 2013

The Problem With Having Money

This trip is the first time I've taken time off work to go somewhere. Every other time I've gone away to do fun stuff I've either been a student or quit my job before I left. Stictly speaking, I'm unemployed now because my last contract with the ACT Government ended the day before I flew out, but they have said they'll give me more work when I get back, so for all intents and purposes I'm just taking time off work.

I think most people would be happy with this arrangement. Indeed, many people do their travelling like this - fitting trips in around work. In reality, I am fitting my trip in around frisbee, and work aligns fairly well with frisbee, but the effect is the same. And the knowledge that I'm returning to a job in Canberra has completely eroded my capacity to not spend money.

For example, when I arrived in Rossland my old boss offered me a very good deal on some skis that I have been coveting for a year or so. Skis that I absolutely don't need. So I bought them. And a new helmet. And goggles. I would have bought gloves too if he'd had anything in my size. On my last two flights, I had bought and eaten so much food before the flight departed that I forgot to eat the complimentary snack they gave us. I didn't even surrepticiously stuff the tiny bag of weird nibbles into my pack - unthinkable under normal monetary conditions. On the way over here, when my instincts were still sharp, I ended up walking off the plane with my snack roll and the roll that was supposed to go to the person sitting next to me. She was asleep and didn't seem like the type to eat the roll and then I didn't want to be all "Here's the roll the air hostess brought you while you were asleep (p.s. I'm really creepy and have been saving this roll for you)" and it was awkward and basically it was better just to hide the roll and pretend the whole thing never happened and then eat it later on. Anyway how I got the roll is beside the point. The point is that on one flight I saved 200% of the normally available rolls and then on the other flight I saved 0% of the available snack thingys. That's a pretty big drop (in percentage terms).

Then it occurred to me that I would need bindings for the new skis. Normally I'm protected from impulse purchases of bindings because the ones I like are hard to find. But not in Bozeman. There are three stores in town that sell them, which is three more than I've ever seen anywhere else in the world. I'm just going to walk into the store, hand over the skis and get them to mount new bindings. I won't even have to dodgy up a drill bit with duct tape. It feels like cheating.

The problem with having money is that it makes it way too easy to buy things. I've had money before, but always with the caveat that I might never find a job again. But with my newfound confidence in future paycheques I've had an astounding insight into the world of stable long-term employment. Has it really been like this for you people all along? Why didn't someone warn me?

I'm not sure I can survive this new arrangement. For a start I'm swiftly being overwhelmed with stuff. Admittedly, some of it I didn't buy (or at least not recently) - I've also gained two towels and a painting. I'm also struggling with food. This morning I went to a bakery (it was gluten free - huge mistake) and when confronted with two ostensibly tasty options (that were actually gluten free) I briefly lost control and bought both of them. Which turned out to be OK because I ended up missing lunch. But if I had stumbled across somewhere to buy lunch later in the day I probably would have bought several of those too.

I can only hope that I return to safe, predictable unemployment soon, before any permanent damage is done and/or I buy furniture, at which point all will be lost.

No comments:

Post a Comment