Thursday, October 6, 2011

Is it Fate?

First, to clear the air - lots of things have happened and I'm behind in my posts. I'll get some stuff up ASAP, but I need to do real life things like sort flights and get insurance and fix my poor poor skis. However, this is too significant to sit around on my laptop for weeks.

Most young boys grow up wanting to be firemen, or cowboys, or merchant bankers. I always wanted to be a 19th century German nihilist. While other lads were playing racist shoot-em-up games or conducting risky imaginary financial transactions, I was trimming my imaginary moustache, puffing on my imaginary pipe and keeping a keen eye out for the ubermensch.

And so, in later life, when I discovered The Sound of Music, it was natural that I would form a deep and lasting bond with this exceptional piece of musical theatre. Admittedly, the main characters are Austrians, and the whole point of the thing is that they're explicitly not Germans, but it's still great. How could you not fall in love with characters like Captain Von Trapp, the strong but secretly sensitive submarine captain, or Maria, who casts off the shackles of Christian pity to embrace the shackles of married life.

And so, it was with much excitement that I saw this entry in the Revelstoke Classifieds. Surely it can't be mere chance that one of the ski towns I'm thinking of heading to is performing The Sound of Music. And auditions are this Thursday! And the audition song is "Edelweiss"!

I suspect that when Nietzsche commanded us to embrace fate he wasn't thinking of travelling 13000kms to audition for a community musical. However, The Sound of Music hadn't even been written in Nietzsche's day, and I reckon he would have loved it.

As the Mother Superior would have said, "What is it Maria you can't face?"

No comments:

Post a Comment